My apologies for not getting the newsletter out in January – I came down with an upper respiratory bug, and couldn’t think from one side of my head to the other, so you really were better off not having to read anything I might have written! And with the temperatures we had at the beginning of the year, who was thinking about gardening anyway?! Well, probably some of us were. And I probably would have been, if I could think.
Featured Garden Product
Bird Feeders – February is National Bird-Feeding Month, so this month, we are talking all about the different types of bird feeders in the newsletter.
To celebrate National Bird-Feeding Month,
Bird Feeders and Bird Food are
at the Garden Mill throughout the month of February!
In this month’s issue of Let’s Get Gardening
Would you believe that tomorrow, we will technically be half-way between winter and spring? I say technically, because that’s only according to the calendar. We do live in Michigan, and Michigan tends to decide when spring is going to show up with little regard to the calendar most years. So don’t count your crocus too soon. But while we’re waiting for those crocus to pop up out of the ground, we can still be doing some garden-related things:
Things to do indoors this month:
- Make sure your indoor plants are getting as much sun as possible.
- Clean out your pots thoroughly.
- Make sure you have everything you need to start plants indoors.
- Start planning your gardens now.
- Go through seeds leftover from last year.
- If you are starting your own rosemary, do it now.
Things to do outdoors this month:
- Use an anti-desiccant spray on your evergreens this month.
- Consider spraying your trees with dormant oil.
- Late winter, when trees and shrubs are still dormant, is the best time to prune most of them.
- Don’t prune early spring-blooming trees and shrubs at this time of year, if you want to have maximum blossoms this spring.
- While the ground is frozen, add a layer of mulch to your perennials, shrubs, and trees.
For the Birds:
- Be sure to keep bird feeders filled.
- Provide a source of drinking water for the birds.
Store News & Specials:
- 10th Annual Chocolate Extravaganza Saturday, Feb. 10, 2018.
- At the Garden Mill, we are offering kids the chance to make a free Valentine bird feeder, and will have specials on bird food and feeders, to celebrate “National Bird-Feeding Month!”
- In case you haven’t heard, Chelsea is having a Curling Tournament! Check out all the details at Chelseamich.com
- Join us Every Saturday in March at 11:00 am for our 2018 Green Thumb Series.
- $10 off $50 coupon